Every generation has had that one toy that no one can live without. In the 80’s it was the Rubix Cube, in the 90’s it was Pogs and Tickle Me Elmo. For the next generation, the Millenials, it just so happens to be the “Fidget Spinner”. One of many to come, I’m sure. As with every toy fad, there are advantages and disadvantages or Pro’s and Con’s, if you will, to the craze that sweeps over the generational gap and takes hold like a new age addiction. The sale of this contraption happens to be primarily targeted at children between the ages of 7-17.
The “Fidget Spinner”
There is much debate on who the actual inventor of the Fidget Spinner is. That’s a debate we will leave the patent attornies. What we can say with certainty is that the Fidget Spinner is a toy, for the most part, made up of a variety of materials from metal to plastic, with a hand spinner bearing in the center that allows for the contraption to be spun in a circular motion when propelled with the same or opposing hand. The designs vary anywhere from 2-5 propellers that surround the center bearing and when spun it maintains its momentum by continuing to spin the object. The most popular of the models happens to be the tri-spinner fidget toy.
There is much debate on the Pros and Con’s of these handheld distractions. Here is a list of some of the Pros and Cons in discussion today.
Pros and Cons of the Fidget Spinners
– Some therapists believe it can help in the treatment of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
– It is fairly inexpensive
– According to Time magazine, some researchers have claimed that fidget spinners may have some benefits for special needs children in the autism spectrum and help aid in their ability to focus in a classroom setting.
– The bearings are removable and can cause a choking hazard if children are not monitored.
– Most teachers agree that they serve more as a distraction in a classroom setting than a means by which to center focus.
– The research is loosely based on individual assessment and no clinical research has been conducted, that could be found.
Some fidget spinners are heavy objects and if used improperly could cause physical harm.
In short, it would appear that the “Fidget Spinner” as this new toy has been dubbed, is nothing more than a generational fad and will soon fade into obscurity right along with Pogs, Moon Shoes, and Teddy Ruxpin.